Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions
Questions about Orientation
My student is starting this semester and we haven’t heard anything yet. What should we do?
After your student is admitted to the University, their first step is to accept their admission and pay the enrollment fee through the Office of Admissions. If your student is transferring from another institution, they will need to send their official transcripts as soon as possible. Once the University receives your student’s official transcripts, our office will notify them about their next steps, including any required placement testing.
How does my student register for classes?
New students register for their first semester of coursework at their assigned advising and Registration date. There, they will be with their academic advisor in a group setting (15 students to 1 advisor). Students in the College of Arts and Sciences Honors College will meet individually with an Academic Advisor to create their schedule before the start of the semester.
Please note that any students who are in the College of Arts and Sciences Honors College will be contacted by their office to schedule an appointment to meet with them instead of attending an Advising and Registration date.
How does my student declare or change their major?
New students must confirm their major while filling out a confirmation form for their Advising and Registration date. If your student wishes to change their major after their new student process, they must contact the Office of the Registrar at camreg@camden.rutgers.eduor (856) 225-6053. The University advises that students consult with their academic advisor before changing majors to make sure they are aware of any academic requirements or policies.
What does it mean to be a full-time student versus a part-time student?
A part-time student is enrolled for fewer than 12 course credits in one semester, while a full-time student is enrolled in 12 or more course credits. Not all schools accept part-time applicants and a student’s status will determine their term bill.
What is the cost of tuition and fees?
Costs for undergraduate and graduate study vary according to school and full-time or part-time enrollment. Final amounts are approved by the Board of Governors. To view the Estimated Cost of Attendance, visit here.
When can the term bill be paid?
Term bills are emailed to your student’s Rutgers-Camden email, their ScarletMail, once it become available. Students cannot view their term bill until they have registered for courses.
How can my student obtain a parking pass?
An email will be sent to your student once a parking pass becomes available to purchase. Once your student has registered their vehicle, they will be allowed to park in lots C-15 and C-16. Please see the Campus Mapfor their locations.
Where can my student find their textbooks?
Once your student is registered for courses, there are a number of ways they can check for any required textbooks. One method is to login to the Web Registration Systemand  select the appropriate semester.Another method is to visit the University Bookstoresite and enter the course codes for their registered courses. If the book list is available, it will come up. Students can also check their course syllabus they receive from their professor for any required texts.
What immunizations are required?
The Student Health Services Office provides a list of required immunizations here. Additional information about immunizations and forms can be found on the Rutgers Immunization Portal. Please note that some immunizations of the list are required for all students, while others are required for those moving into on-campus housing.
All forms must be submitted no later than July 15 for students entering in the Fall semester and January 5 for students entering in the Spring semester. Students admitted to the University after the deadline should return the forms without delay.
How can my student get involved on-campus?
Our campus has over 40 clubs and organizations on-campus, as well as Greek organizations. Students can find and attend events and programs on-campus by visiting Engage, the Rutgers-Camden website used for listing clubs, organizations, and events, eitheronlineor through the Rutgers-Camden Appon their phone. Your student can also visit the Office of Student Involvementfor more information.
Does Rutgers support diversity on-campus?
Yes. Rutgers University ensures that every student regardless of their race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. is supported and heard. Our University has many services along with clubs and organizations that advocate for diversity on-campus. Check out The Office of Diversity and Inclusionwebsite for more information. 
Where can my student find out information about on-campus housing and dining?  
For information about housing, your student can visit the website for the Office of Housing & Residence Life. They also provide a Frequently Asked Questionspage to help with many of the common questions that every resident may be unsure about.
For information about the wide variety of dining options available to students and meal plans, your student can visit the Dining Services website.
Why does my student need a placement exam?
Any student required to take a placement exam will be emailed stating which exam they must take along with instructions for doing so. Below is an overview of the University placement test requirements.
· English Placement Exam
All students must take the English placement exam unless they are exempt for one of the following two reasons:
    1.     Your student is transferring in an English Composition college course for which they have received college credit.
    2.     Your student earned a 500 or higher on the verbal portion of their SAT.
·Math Placement Exam
All first-year students are required to take the math placement exam unless they are:
    1.     Submitting transfer credit for a 100-level college Math course in which they receive a C or better.
    2.     Submitting AP credit in which a 4 or above has been earned on the examination.
· Foreign Language Exam
All students pursuing degrees in the College of Arts and Sciences must fulfill a foreign language requirement. Students must take a placement test in the appropriate language to determine which course to take.  Foreign language exams are offered in French, German and Spanish. 
For more about additional credit courses, such as dual-credit coursework and AP exams, visit our website here.
Why does my student need to take English Composition courses?
Your student must meet certain undergraduate requirements in order to graduate. These include General Education Requirements, which students in all schools must complete, and School/College Graduation Requirements. English Composition I and II are part of the General Education Requirements, so all students must complete them. Students may also transfer in credit from their previous institution or submit AP English Exam scores with a score of a 4 or 5 to receive English Composition credit.
To read more about the Undergraduate Graduation Requirements, visit here.
My student took AP courses in high school, are they still required to take a placement exam?
Any student who took AP courses in high school must have completed the AP exam receiving a 4 or 5 to be exempt from a placement exam and receive college credit.
Visit here to viewour list of AP scores and course equivalencies.
Can you tell me about the safety on-campus?
Rutgers-Camden strives to provide a secure environment for the entire campus community. The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) patrols the campus and the surrounding neighborhood all day, every day. RUPD consists of over 20 commissioned police officers and 60 security guards in addition to the Delaware Port Authority and Camden County Police to patrol our campus and keep your student safe. RUPD provides security escorts for students, faculty, and staff along with emergency text alerts to notify the community of any critical emergency happening on-campus.
For more information about campus safety, visit here.
Questions about Orientation
Does my student have to attend orientation?
Yes, your student is required to attend and complete multiple parts of their new student orientation including, an Advising and Registration date, Everfi Online Orientation Modules and Academic Integrity Tutorial, and Raptor Welcome (please note that Raptor Welcome only takes place for students starting each academic year in the Fall). These programs allow your student to learn how to navigate our campus, meet and interact with other students, register for classes, and learn about the resources and services available to them at Rutgers-Camden. 
What are the Everfi and Academic Integrity Online Modules?
The Everfi and Academic Integrity Online Modules are a mandatory part of your student’s orientation to help them address critical life skills such as alcohol abuse prevention, sexual assault prevention, and financial literacy.
To find out more about our online orientation courses, visit our website here.
How and when will my student register for classes?
Once your student has accepted their admission, paid the enrollment fee, completed any required placement testing, and sent in any necessary transcripts, they will be assigned and invited to an Advising and Registration date prior to the beginning of the semester. This mandatory program is for students to meet with their academic advisor in a group setting, with 15 students for every 1 advisor, and register for classes.
Can I attend orientation with my student?
Students are allowed to bring 2 guests with them to their Advising and Registration date. These guests will be allowed to remain with their student for the information portion of the day, but cannot attend their advising session. A separate Parent Program will be held while your student is being advised. Please be aware that while guests may attend Advising and Registration, they are notpermitted at Raptor Welcome.
Can I help my student register for classes?
No, parents and guests are not allowed to be in the registration session at your student’s Advising and Registration date. Due to limited space in the rooms, only students and advisors can be present.
My student cannot attend their assigned Advising and Registration date, what should we do?
If your student is unable to attend their assigned date, they should notify our office by filling out the confirmation form included in the emailed invitation we sent them. Within the confirmation for, they simply need to check off “No, I cannot attend” and our office will reach out to your student. They are also welcome to email or call our office directly so we can reassign them to the next available Advising and Registration date.